Coming when called
Three Hot Tips
- Always reward your dog for coming to you, whether by praise, food, playing with a toy or all three.
- Release your dog (for example by saying “off you go”) after rewarding her for coming – and do this many, many times, rather than just calling your dog at the end of a walk.
- Unless you are very sure your puppy will come when you call – don’t call,. You will only be teaching her to ignore being called. Wait until you can get your puppy’s attention and do something to attract her to you.
- Avoid calling your puppy repeatedly, when there is nothing you can do to make her come to you. This teaches her to ignore you.
- Avoid calling and then accidentally punishing your dog – by grabbing her, putting the lead on ending her play,. This teaches her to avoid you, and specifically to avoid coming close enough to be handled.
- Avoid chasing your puppy – this will tend to make her run away. Instead, wait until she looks at you, then try running away to attract her to you.